Family

Family

Called to Serve

We have loved traveling and being with family for the past two years but we felt the call to serve another mission so here we are in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania for the next year.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

It's Pday Again

This is actually a picture from last Sunday. The missionaries presented a musical fireside. This was taken during rehearsal so there were a few more missionaries in the actual performance. They did a wonderful job. I was really surprised at the talent. The Elder in the front row all the way to the right is from Hawaii. He played the ukelele and also sang in several of the songs and it was really good. Some of the missionaries had fantastic voices.

One picture I wanted to post but I can't seem to find it when I browse is a group shot of the sister missionaries with one of the ladies that was baptized two weeks ago. Since we have been here, there has been a baptism every week. Most of those being baptized are young adults and I am so impressed with what humble, sweet people they are.



Some of you may have read my comment on Facebook about the crazy roosters here. This is a picture of one of the neighborhood roosters - probably the one who has his days and nights mixed up. I am a light sleeper and so there are many times when I wake up at 2 or 3am and I hear those crazy birds crowing. They are still doing it at 6:30am and then I usually get up and don't hear them anymore.

This is a picture of some of the roosters and their female friends. There are chickens everywhere here. You will be driving down the main roads on the island and there are a bunch of chickens walking around on the side of the road.


This is along the side road Wayne walks along in the morning. There is a house with caged roosters. Our friends told us that cock fights are a big deal here and so these may be some of the fighting roosters. They are not allowed to run loose.


This is a street street Wayne walks in the morning. It is a short cut from our apartment to another larger road that leads out to the golf course. He has found it a nice quiet route to walk on at 6:30am.



Wayne had me take take this picture to share with our friends the Brobergs who are serving in Copenhagen. They emailed us recently about their experiences there and commented on how cold it is. We checked out their blog and saw them all wrapped up in heavy coats and scarves. I don't think I will ever have a use for the light weight jackets that I reluctantly packed in my suitcase. Our weather right now is beautiful. I know the temperature will not vary much but we expect more humidity as the summer approaches.


Our Young Adults had a beach party today. Several of them got up a game of volleyball. In the far back court is Elder Westergard. He amazes me as he gets in and does whatever the kids are involved in. I stayed in the shade, which when I saw Elder Westergards sunburn tonight I was quite glad I had.


Several of the young men took charge of the cooking. These four were at the barbeque almost the entire activity. The meat was wonderful. They cooked ribs, chicken and hot dogs.


One young man decided that he was going to cook the hot dogs Tongan style. He had this tiny little barbeque and he had brought wood to burn to coals. The knife in his hand is a machete. Everyone has them here - there is even one in the back of our car. The machete is used to clear the jungle while hiking and as seen here for splitting the wood.


When the coals were ready, Cheech went down to the beach to get a palm frond. He then peeled the leaves off and made skewers of the palm rib.


The skewers were used to put the hot dogs on. When one side was cooked, all they had to do was lift the two ends of the skewer and turn the hot dogs over. How nifty! The girl on the end is Sarah Warner. She is the Branch Presidents daughter and the Young Adult Rep. She has planned some really nice activities for the YSA but we will be loosing her next month. She is moving back to Utah and joining the Air Force. Next to Sarah is Enrique. He turned his missionary application in several weeks ago and is anxiously waiting for his call. I love to hear him talk. He is such a knowledgeable young man, is friendly and has no problem leading out. He will make a great missionary.


Ahhhh, the finished product. They cooked so much meat and I thought it would never get eaten. Never underestimate the appetites of young men.

No comments: